17 September 2008

It Keeps Going and Going and Going...

So, I thought that I needed to say one thing from yesterdays post. The lady on the elevator was just rude and that usually is an exception from the Chinese. Most of them are not rude in their desire to be first. Just like any culture, there are rude people and not rude people...this lady just happened to be rude.

So, yesterday after work, I had to stop at the grocery store to get some stuff. While waiting in line to have my produce weighed (they don't do it at the check out lane like in the USA), there are about five of us. As it becomes my turn, a little old Chinese lady slipped off to the side of the line and very carefully laid her bananas on the scale so that the produce lady had no choice but to weigh her bananas before my produce. Now, with this lady I didn't mind, she wasn't really assuming and I didn't feel she was being rude. In fact, she smiled at me as if to say, "You get it, I'm old and you're not. I should go first my legs ache." :) The produce lady and I just smiled at each other and it was no big deal. I think they lady stole 20 seconds of my day....I'll get over it. :)

As I'm carrying my grocerys into the lobby of the condo, I'm waiting on the elevator again; when all of a sudden, I look to the door and see "Elevator Lady!" She stood in the elevator lobby with us and when the door opened, we all climbed on and she stayed in the lobby. We held the door open for her but she wouldn't get on. When we asked her if she was "going up?" she said, "No, I'll wait for the next." You should have seen the look on her face. I think that she was embarassed to see me let alone ride the elevator with me. We closed the doors and went on our way. However, as I look back on it, she was probably the wise one. She waited for the next elevator and probably was a lone rider and went straight to her floor without stopping for the six people on my elevator. :)

OK, I'm off to a meeting. Have a good one!!!

Ciao!

-S

3 comments:

temaire said...

That poor lady! She is going to be hiding from you all over the place! lol keep the stories coming, I love them! Oh, and that little old lady in the store is funny. Kind of funny to think about doing..maybe we could get away with it!

Leelee said...

Love the banana lady!! The other lady probably thought you were crazy and would punch all the button again!! lol

Katie said...

You're probably right about the old lady thing. They have that respect for the elders we so generally disregard here in the US. It makes you wonder if the elevator lady had an accident or something to be that terrified to get on the elevator with you. Are you sure you showered that day?? ;)