16 September 2008

What, no Letters?

Because nobody ever sends me a random greetings card or snail mail letter or the like, I usually check my letter box about once a fortnight (we're so English here in Malaysia), that's check my mailbox about once every two weeks. :) Anyway, I had ALL of my household bills arrive on this one occasion. How mean is that? Anyway, I'm sitting here all irritated like because it seems like so much to me. Then I did the conversion to US Dollars and decided to quit complaining. :) Just for your amusement, I thought I would post what household bills I have and what the rate in USD would be. Here they are:

Water - 2 months: $6.00
Broadband Internet 2 months: $77.10
Electricity 1 month: $202.90 (I run my air conditioning 24X7)
Gas (cooking) 6 months: $8.70
Sewage 6 months: $13.91
Satellite TV 1 month: $31.30
Total Household Bills: $339.91

Now, looking at the fact that I live in about 1500 Sq Ft. condo in a hot and humid country, that's not too bad. Why is it that I complain so much? Probably because it looks like a lot more when I'm making out the checks and total 1,172.69 Ringgit. That just seems like too much money to me. :)

Since Temaire decided to post random apartment/condo drama, I thought that I would do the same:

To understand this story, you have to know that culturally, the Chinese people are different than the rest of the world. I mean, that makes sense, right? I'm not saying that it is good or bad, just different. Part of the difference is that it is culturally driven to be first at everything. This is easily seen not only in Malaysia, but America and China as well. I mean look at it, who is the top of the class in School? Chinese. Who is the top ranked country in Olympics? China. When there is a line to make a right hand turn (Malaysia mostly) who will go to the front of the line and block traffic in the through lane to try and butt in to line and be first group to turn right? Nine times of ten, Chinese. For those of us who are not Chinese, this can be frustrating!

So, last night after work, I'm standing in the lobby of my condo, waiting for the elevator to arrive because I don't think climbing 28 flights of stairs sounds fun. :) There are three Western guys there and the other two (Auzzies I think) were talking a lot of nonsense that I couldn't understand (throw a shrimp on the barbie). As the elevator door opened, the occupant had his whole house, so I moved to the side to give him room. There was about 6 inches between me and the wall. When the guy on the elevator got off, the Auzzies started to get on when all of a sudden...I'M PUSHED OUT OF THE WAY. Literally, the Chinese lady PUSHED me out of the way to get between me and the wall and squeeze her way on to the elevator before me! She literally moved me a few steps to make way. She made me drop my phone which was in my hand and my backpack slid off my shoulder and luckily didn't drop on the floor (laptops don't like that much). While I was bending down to pick up the phone and muttering something about her being a selfish cow, she said to the other guys (who were in shock and horrified) in a not nice way, "He's too slow and I have to pee!" She then pushed the closed door button so that I would miss the elevator. As the door was closing, I shoved my hand in the way and climbed on the elevator. I explained to her, that if she did that again, I would file a compliant with the condo association and have her fined for being "discourteous." She again started to snort some witty reply to which I responded by......yes, you guessed it....pushing the button for EVERY SINGLE FLOOR in the building. She lives two floors above me. The Auzzies responded with belly busting roars of laughter. It was beautiful. Now, before anybody tells me I should be ashamed of myself for being racist or bigoted, please know that I'm far from that. I have great respect and am awed for the Chinese people, their culture and language. This one particular cultural aspect is "quirky" to me. But I'm sure that there are tons of things that the Chinese find "quirky" about Americans or Westerners. Can I get an Amen to that? :)

OK, now I'm waiting for the McDonald's McDelivery guy to show up with my fillet (pronounced fil-at in Malaysia) of fish-like substance and fries. I love that McDonald's delivers 24X7. Now if we could get the Thai place on the corner to do the same :)

Ciao!

-S

5 comments:

Katie said...

Amen! ha ha ha. I'm busting a gut here! That's hilarious Scott! Maybe she should have taken the stairs--that would have helped her. hee hee hee. Oh, and by th way--I still think there was cheating in the Olympics (on behalf of the Chinese) so let's not go there. ;)

temaire said...

That is my all time favorite story! I love it! I can't believe that she pushed you out of the way (or gave that explaination!) but I love that you pushed all of the buttons! makes you wonder if she had a small accident?! lol In New Zealand they pronounc fillet 'fillit', but Mcdonalds did not deliver! Katie's sister in law has the same thing in Egypt! How fun!

Leelee said...

Neighbors!!! lol I did smile when I read you pushed them all...now you must repent! ;)

I am SO jealous about the cost of everything. You don't even want to know my power bill ($360.00 for mid July to mid August!)

Your place sounds like Frasier's condo. lol

Love the stories.

Leelee said...

BTW, Katie's sister-in-law posted on her blog (with pictures) that in Egypt (where they are now living...Kevan and Sara) have McDonalds delivery. How cool is that?!! I think it would go over well here!

Sun Productions said...

My very favorite thing about Paraguay is that McDonald's delivers! And I'm not saying that I don't like Paraguay at all, or that there isn't anything here that is cool. I'm just saying McDonald's DELIVERY! Actually everyone delivers, the bakery, the fast food restaurants, the fancy restaurants, the buffet restaurants, the pharmacy, and I'm sure that the grocery store would, were I to call them. But McDonald's, that's the best!