05 September 2008

Shanghai (mid)Knights

For those of you who visited by blog before, i have deleted my old posts from the Philippines. Sorry, but it wasn't nice to have it jump two and a half years to the present not knowing what happened in between. Therefore, I made the decision to get rid of it. :)

So, I'm leaving for Shanghai China tomorrow morning AT 2:30! I think I saved about 20 cents by booking this flight - it seemed a good idea at the time. :) Anyway, I will have to drive to the office and drop my car and catch the last train to the airport by 12:00. On the way back I will have to get a taxi/limo to bring us back because we land after the last train for the night.

I had to go to the Chinese consulate this morning to fetch my passport and visa to enter the country. Yep - you guessed it - Sherwin (co-worker) and I waited until the last possible moment to get visas. I'm still trying to figure out why it costs more to process my visa than it does his. Being Filipino, he only had to pay RM130 whereas I had to pay RM430. It just doesn't seem that it should cost 3.3 times for an American than for somebody from another country. The extra fee only applies to Americans and no other nationality. So, while I'm complaining about the cheating in the Olympics, I'm also to complain about that. Also, they don't tell you about the fees until you're to pick up your passport. What am I going to do, let them keep it? It's not like I can just say, "forget it, it's not worth it." A passport is pretty important when not living in your own nation.

Luckily enough, Shanghai is in the same time zone as KL so I won't suffer the whole jet lag thing like I did when I returned here from the USA. When I went to the USA a couple of weeks ago, I had no troubles at all. I landed in SLC about 8:30 or so and stayed awake until about 11 or 12 and then crashed until the next morning. When I woke up, I was fine and didn't suffer at all. When I came home to KL, I landed at noonish and then was screwed up for a week! I couldn't sleep at night and wanted to crash all day at work. So as I was saying, that shouldn't happen on this trip unless I can't sleep tonight on the flight. Luckily we're in business class so we should be able to get *some* sleep?

So, we're going to Shanghai for a conference which is on Monday and Tuesday of next week. We're land EARLY tomorrow morning (Saturday) and will have the whole of Sat/Sun to just do whatever. Hopefully, we can get some cool touristy things done. Also, our flight is late on Wednesday so we have that day as well. :)

I'll try to post some pics while I'm there in China but if not I will as soon as I get back. Maybe I'll see something there (other than good Chinese food) that I just can't do without...we'll see.

Cheers!
-S

3 comments:

temaire said...

Yeah!!!! Your blog is up! I am so excited!!! I hope that you have so much fun in China! How rude that you had to pay more money for your passport! That is weird that only Americans have to do that. Kind of early to leave in the morning! YUCK! It was so good to see you at the reunion. I miss you and hope that we don't have to wait that long to see you again! lol Have fun and I will chat with you later. Love you

Katie said...

They have this little place in Shanghai where you can barter. It's a little market thing. Sorry, but all I remember is that it is *something* gardens. It's hilarious because if one of the vendors is out of something you want, they give you a business card. That really cracked me up. Anyway, I got a "North Face" coat for about $35. I still have it, and like it. By the way, I don't like that you have comment moderation on...pfft!

Leelee said...

You, Katie, and Cliff go EVERYWHERE!!!! I'm impressed! Have a ton of fun. (I was so busy getting ready for Cliff's birthday party that I haven't been on facebook or blogspot for a long time.) Love you!!